City Government Week
Celebrate what makes your city great!
Each year more and more cities across the state take time to celebrate their efforts and the services they provide the community. City Government Week is a special time for city leaders and staff to enhance public awareness of the role local government plays in the lives of citizen’s every day. This is a great opportunity to engage citizens in positive, community-building events.
April 3-7, 2017, has been designated City Government Week in North Dakota, and we encourage all cities to join with the League in celebrating local government. Use this as an opportunity to show off your city! From open houses to city trivia in your local newspaper, participate in any way you can imagine.
Here are a few ideas and resources to get you thinking:
- Schedule classroom visits by elected or appointed city official or emergency response personnel.
- Hold a coloring contest for elementary students using photographs that highlight parks, landmarks and other important aspects of your city.
- Host students for a tour of a significant building or landmark in your city.
- Hold a Mayor for a Day contest or job shadow opportunities with city employees.
- Plant trees in a local park to and invite the public.
- Sponsor a community clean-up day for local parks or along roadways in and around town.
- Showcase your emergency services with a display of fire, ambulance and police units.
- My City North Dakota Color Book (K-1st grade)
- Graphic Water Cycle (2nd grade)
- Water Cycle Activity (2nd grade)
- Wacky Water Adventure (2nd grade)
- Preparedness Color Sheets (3rd grade)
- Water Word Scramble (4th grade)
- Water Facts of Life (4th grade)
- Water Trivia Facts (5th grade)
- Be Hydro-Logical (6th grade)
These materials are meant simply as a guide that you can adapt to create your own unique city celebration. If you need further assistance or have questions, please contact Carissa Richter in the League office at 701-223-3518 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope you will join your neighbors in celebrating with us. Participate in City Government Week and help to educate our citizens on the good work their local government does for them.
Send pictures and a brief description of your activities to Carissa for publication in CITYScan and let us celebrate with you. We love hearing about the creative things you do! to review city activities from 2017.